Bringing Her Home

Whitney (11:21 am PST, Monday 6/13/22)

After 158 days, 42 surgeries and countless procedures in the Pediatric ICU, Pepper was finally discharged last Saturday. It was an exciting morning when Pepper woke up feeling better than she had in a few weeks. She specifically asked the Dr, “Can I go home today?” He was so happy to tell her Yes! 

It was a lot like bringing a new born baby home from the hospital for the first time. Overjoyed, proud, excited, and a bit nervous. I drove that minivan with both hands on the wheel and laser focus. We were bringing our girl home. 

She is different physically, emotionally, and mentally. We keep seeing glimpses of Pepper before the accident, but I think she will be changed forever in some ways. But with most change I’ve learned, the possibilities for an outcome are endless. 

It took me a few days to really let it sink in. When it finally hit me Friday night that she was home for good and we were all under the same roof again, I cried hard. In a way I was holding my breath. I was stifling feelings that I wasn’t ready to let my guard down for yet. I was just going, knowing that if I gave in to the exhaustion and worry at any point I wouldn’t be able to continue forward. 

Life somehow has so much more meaning. The big things don’t seem so big and important today. The little things are where it’s at. So friends today I breathed. I took a bath. I went grocery shopping for the first time since that night with all my kids. I listened to music and did a puzzle. I took a nap. I read books with Krew. I lived today. 

Sometimes we have to hold our breath, close our eyes, and hold on tight to our faith and just trust. That’s ok to get you through for a time. Just know you will breath again, one day.



Comments

  1. Soooo happy pepper and your family glad that you all together and enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️πŸ™❤️πŸ™❤️πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you and your family to finally all be under the same roof again! I can only imagine the relief you felt at that moment. Hoping for continuous progress and healing ❤️‍🩹

    ReplyDelete
  4. So extremely happy that you are all under one roof again! It makes my heart smile and tears of joy run down my face! Pepper you are sooo strong and beautiful! I hope one day I grow to have strength like you and your momma! Krew, you my super hero! I told my 5 year old son all about this brave little boy I’ve been reading about. He said maybe one day we can have a play date and he can show me how superhero’s get the bad guys! Kyle, you are a true hero, every child looks to their dad as unbreakable, unstoppable, strong and brave! You truly are this and soo much more. Whitney, you are a true warrior! To have gone through what you did, I don’t know where you found the strength to do it for so long! I’m so moved by your strength and resilience and positive attitude. I truly believe God was watching over you and your family. He was there guiding you giving them each the strength to fight! God Bless you and your family, stay strong, and never give up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m praying for Gods favor and blessing for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine the hard journey that you guys have and are continuing to walk through. May God continue to meet every need... Even the needs YoU don't know about. Thankful with you all are home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eres un ejemplo de valentΓ­a Pepper! πŸ™❤️πŸ₯°

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the beautiful reminder to live. I love y’all πŸ’—

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment