In the Right Direction, Ever So Slowly

Whitney (2:20 pm PST, Friday, 5/13/22)

Our sweet girl. We have had a glimpse of her in the last couple of weeks. She was free from intense pain, off all her opioids, regaining strength, surgeries were a week apart (or more) and she’s really been looking so forward to the future, even making plans on how to decorate her room. 

Then the damn phone rang. I am very much in the loop of all of her care, sometimes I even get to share my opinion with the drs. They humor me. The voice that came over the line was filled with sadness and disappointment. “The bacteria is back, and it’s not looking great”. We decided to hit it hard and fast. 2 antibiotics through the IV, administered slowly for a longer window of coverage. New topical antibiotics for both bacterial and fungal infections. Surgery every other day with bedside changes being done in between. 

Pepper has been crabby. She has been in so much pain lately. She has been claustrophobic in her dressings, causing her bouts of anxiety. The antibiotics make her have little to no appetite. She’s lost a few pounds this week. Walking occasionally, sleeping a lot more. She’s tired. She was feeling “sad” a lot this last week. She asked me to hold her multiple times, and just “hug me mommy”. I’ve been drawn away helping Kyle & Krew get through their surgery recovery. Only allowing me a few hours a day to sit with and uplift her. 

I just want to be done, I just want it to be over. Make it stop mommy. I wish I could, Pepper. Mommy and Daddy want it as much as you. Just hold on sweet girl, there is a rainbow after this storm. We will see more of our sweet Pepper’s personality come out again, we are headed in the right direction. 

We have received your cards. Your letters. Your gifts. Your love. Your donations. Each one means so much to us. Thank you.



Comments

  1. Prayers Pepper your amazing young lady. Your so strong then anyone I know. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches for this beautiful soul. Praying hard Pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My granddaughter, who is the same age as Pepper, said when she gets down and depressed she likes to watch Liv and Maddie and Alexa and Katie. Hope this will help cheer up Pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laying at the pool watching my daughter swim and came across your story. When I first started to read through everything my heart was in my throat. The deeper I read I became so amazed with the amount of faith and strength you all have throughout this process. It’s remarkable💪🏽 I feel like things happen for a reason and eventually that will come to light. Your family is beautiful inside and out. I will keep all of you in my thought and prayers. Side note: Your husband is a super hero💪🏽

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even have words about how brave you are Pepper. You, your brother and your father. I'm praying with all my heart for you and your family. I hope you feel everyone's love reaching it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pepper you are stronger than any adult who has ever suffered the slightest pain! Praying for you! You are my super hero and I’m over 60 yrs old! God love ya! We all do!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment