A Step Towards Normal

Whitney Copeland (1:04pm PST, Saturday, 2/12/22)

This is what I woke up to this morning. A very quiet house. I love them both more than words could ever describe. Like it hurts if I think about it too long. 

I went to the grocery store yesterday. Krew came with me. It was a good dose of normal, I think we both needed. We just needed one thing. A tiny screwdriver to put batteries into a new remote-control car he received as a gift. We finally found this tiny but much needed tool after searching every aisle. 

People are so kind. The “Oh hello handsome boy” and “what a cutie” remarks were around every corner, and in every encounter while in the store and parking lot. I can see the initial reaction in their eyes. It’s like a slap in the face. Reminding me that this is our new normal. It’s a look of pity. Which isn’t a negative thing. If we feel pity, it can be a good indication that we are blessed and grateful for our own circumstances. I’ve had that same feeling looking on others, it’s without judgement, but pure unconditional love. Pity. I wonder what they felt as I looked on them with those same eyes. It’s hard not to feel compassion for those that probably have it harder than us. 

I keep having the urge to explain to people that there was an accident. That this isn’t how we have always been. That little Krew didn’t used to look like this or walk this way. That our lives were once perfect, and his face had that beautiful soft smooth baby skin. But I can’t keep thinking that way. It makes me sad. 

I saw a beautiful baby in a car seat at the store. Just perfect in every way. It made me smile, when I realized that Krew is perfect in every way. This is Krew showing up perfectly. We are all perfect. The way we show up today, is what is intended and it’s perfect. The raw imperfections and authentic ways we choose to treat people in life are perfect. My intention today; I’m choosing to see others with love and accepting my perfectness. 

#Copelandstrong

Comments

  1. Your family has been thru so much and yet you always seem to find positive things to share. YOU and your words are an inspiration to me.
    I have a question and I'm sorry if it brings more pain to you. You've mentioned "cadaver skin grafts" - do you know where to find more information about that? I've been an organ donor for years but never thought about skin donation until I started following your family's journey. If you - or a family member or medical person - could share more information on that I think it would show others how important that donation is.
    I pray for continued healing for all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment