COPELAND MOTOR HOME SALVAGE

From The Copeland Family Updates: 

On Friday, at the request of the family, a group of wonderful people from Dammeron Valley, headed by Gloria Boberg, head of the nonprofit, Big Ocean Women, converged on the burned-out wreckage at the lot it’s being stored in St. George, Utah to try and salvage any person possessions that may have survived the fire and explosions . Rebecca Leavitt Ivatt was there and this is her record of the day along with her photos. 🙏🏻

Copeland Motor Home Salvage, Friday, 1/7/2022

At about 1:30 PM I got a text message from Gloria, the President of an amazing service-oriented group called “Big Ocean Women”.  We are the St. George, UT Cottage but many of the members live out in rural pocket communities, myself in Dammeron Valley.

Gloria, also of Dammeron Valley, texted to advise that Whitney Copeland had sent a message to Janie of Brookside, UT, one of our newest Big Ocean Women (BOW) members, that the insurance company covering her family’s burned and damaged Motor Home was giving the family till 5:00 PM that night to salvage any possessions that could be in-tact on the motor home that was sitting in a yard for disposal.  Janie immediately notified Gloria, who sent word out to members that we needed help at the storage yard ASAP and that the business closed at 5:00 PM.  We had the word “Go” at about 3:00 PM.  

Now I had seen the vehicle in storage because my husband Bob worked just a block away so I called him to explain the need.  Well that company is a small business with a big heart, L’Chef.  The CFO, didn’t hesitate but immediately approved men to leave the warehouse (staying on the clock) to help in the effort to recover items important to this amazing and extremely challenged family, the Copeland’s.

Gloria and I left with 2 SUV’s and one trailer for the storage yard, other members of BOW met us there.  We had less than 2 hours and the site looked overwhelming, heartbreaking and blackened.

I arrived with garbage bags, tarps, gloves, crowbars and space in my SUV for items recovered.  I know from communications on this Facebook page and information from family-friend, Janie, that the injured children were concerned about their treasures.  Pepper in particular wanted not Christmas presents recently received, but her Journals and Diary where she had recorded her thoughts and dreams.  This one set of items were on my mind and in my prayers for the child who held on to her little brother through the flames.  Please Father in Heaven, let us find them for Pepper.

I thought I was the first to arrive but found my husband Bob and Dana from BOW already near the back of the bus, dusted with soot.  Bob had Whitney Copeland on FaceTime and she was guiding their efforts to uncover hidden storage under the wreckage and not only flame and explosion debris but very wet and heavy items like clothes and mattresses.  

Items, one at a time started coming through the destroyed windows into my hands.  Under each child’s bed were stored their treasures, I found magnetic paper dolls in poor shape and board games with sodden outer boxes completely destroyed but playing pieces and even play money perfectly fine within.

I saw that this family with young children were all very much fans of Harry Potter and at least one child boasted the Crest of Gryffindor.  There was a blistered cover of a companion book but the only part of the title to be made out was “Harry Potter” and the illustrator’s name “Jim Kay”. I counted 2 wands that passed into my hands but likely there were two more that found their way (hopefully) into other hands as more help arrived from BOW, Gloria’s wonderful family and the men from L’Chef.

I know now Whitney Copeland is reading Diana Gabldon’s Outlander series.  A favorite of mine too.  The book that came from the explosion and fire, outside page edges blackened and cover charred in places was the poignantly titled volume “The Fiery Cross”.

We found a working cell phone, wet but legible insurance and legal paperwork and medication.  We all rejoiced when we found the family’s scriptures, 3 sets and all in good condition.  The word of God preserved as were the lives of the three through the flames were preserved.  God is great!

We had started separating items too destroyed to clean and I saw a blacked plastic tractor, the kind with the arm and scoop in front.  I said “trash right?”  “No” came the reply from 2 people inside the wreckage.  Apparently this toy is the youngest child’s, Krew’s, favorite toy.  Blackened or not, we keep it!

At nearly 5:00 PM. keys had arrived to open two secured compartments on one side of the bus.  Fingers crossed, we opened it and inside were sealed plastic totes full of items in perfect condition!  The only tote that sustained damage was one with electrical cords that had a hole in the top and it was absolutely full of water.

As I loaded my car with blistered tablets and soggy binders with Pokemon Cards, I saw and opened a quite badly burned small tote.  Inside under an intact piece of paper with graphics of hair styles were notes books, some with little locks.  All of these items in the badly burned tote were perfect.  No char, no water damage.  I photographed many things including the contents of that tote.

As I arrived back to Dammeron Valley with items in my car, we all convened at Gloria’s home to lay out on the floor of her garage, soaking wet and blackened clothing and the items we recovered.  Gloria again put out the call for help washing the clothing and seeing what can be saved.

I came home with my husband feeling blessed, closer to him and the others who answered the call, dropped what they were doing to be there for a family most of us have not met in person.  We love them now, the Copeland’s are ours now too.

I started to send the pictures to Gloria for BOW and to Janie for the Facebook Page “The Copeland Family Updates”, but to Whitney, I sent a private text and one photo, the open tote with locked notebooks.  I only typed a one-word caption, “Pepper’s?”  Whitney replied with one word, “Yesss!!!”

I conclusion I want to say that we are all connected and tragedy can bond us quickly.  

I know that this family has so much in common with mine.  My daughter is Whitney’s age and also has four children, two girls and two boys.  

When the Explosion and fire happened and I found out the details, I thought “what if…?” and then prayed for the Copeland family and the continued safety of my own family.  

My husband has a saying that was used often in England where he grew up, that very much sums up my perspective regarding this tragedy and amazing opportunity to help in some small way, “There by the Grace of God, go I.”  Amen

~Rebecca Ivatt

————-

💰 Donations are still needed to reach our goal to help the family with medical expenses and to restart their lives.  

Please donate to the GO FUND ME:  https://gofund.me/74ef48f5

Or via VENMO:  @whitneycopeland 


 












Comments

  1. This is wonderful news!! I'm so happy for all of them that so many belongings were recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are angels among us for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless all your wonderful souls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment