Oh my, Pepper is 12!


Macey Jones (Pepper's aunt, Whitney's sister, 12:30pm EST, Friday, 1/28/22)

I can remember Whitney running down the road from her and Kyle's apartment across the lake with a positive pregnancy test. We were all in shock and couldn't believe it was really happening. I remember laying on the floor before Kyle left to basic training and brainstorming with them names. I still remember us all saying Pepper over and over in practice for our sweet and spicy baby. How fitting her name is! I can remember for the last few months of Whitney's pregnancy while Kyle was in basic training Whitney and Kolby (their beloved dog) slept with me. I would as quietly as possible slip out of my bed at 4:30am for early morning seminary trying not to disturb the pregnant woman who was growing the family's princess. I remember on the weekends jumping out of bed and making a cup of hot cocoa and delivering it to Whitney so I could lay next to her and feel all the kicks Pepper had to offer, Pepper loved hot chocolate. 

I remember January 27th, 2010, Whitney's due date, getting ready for school when Whitney called out, she thought she was having contractions. Mimi talked to her, coached her and helped her into the shower. I can remember going to Dr. Moratta's office so he could check how dilated Whitney was and, in the process, breaking her water. I can remember how every single nurse in that facility's attention quickly turned to me as I quite monotonal exclaimed I couldn't hear anything and that my vision was fading too. I was pampered with cold water, a chair and was being fanned. I remember Whitney teasing me that she was the one in labor needing medical attention and yet everyone was catering to me. The plan was for her to sleep on a friend's couch in Syracuse until her contractions got bad enough for the hospital. I remember watching movies with Addey at said friend’s house on the couch next to Whitney praying for her contractions to pick up! 

I remember Whitney rolling over and saying, "call Mom, they're getting worse." Mimi and Kensey came back from running errands with a smoothie from target and drove the 5 of us girls to the hospital. Kensey got Whitney a wheelchair and drove her up to the labor and delivery room. That was her pass to get her into that delivery room undercover. Addey and I were both vetoed and sent to the waiting room because we were under 18. I still remember Whitney advocating for us as she always does, saying to the nurse and staff, "So I could have a stranger here with me as long as they're 18 but not my sisters?!" Kensey's punishment for being able to attend was catching all of the smoothie that Whitney was now throwing up. Kensey still can't use berry shampoo, the smell is too similar. I remember sitting in that waiting room for hours with Addey watching "I’m pregnant and I didn't even know it" waiting and waiting and waiting. I remember Poppi rushing in and saying Kyle was able to get on a plane and that we were going to pick him up!

I remember Kyle running off the plane with a pocket full of melted candy intended for Whitney from the stewardess. I remember the look of excitement on his face as he knew the weight of what was happening. He was becoming a father! I remember going back to the hospital just to lay on the couch with Addey and watch more "I'm pregnant and I didn't know it." I fell asleep and can remember waking up to the proudest Poppi I'd ever seen. He gathered Addey and I then pulled out his video camera and rewound it. He showed us our girl Pepper Anne Copeland born at 1:01am January 28th, 2010 and told us how perfect she was. I remember seeing her and just melting, wanting to hold her so bad! We went home and came back the next day. I remember skipping school to go and meet Pepper. Her little tongue was busy, and she looked around everywhere just soaking things up. I remember having to leave to go to a volleyball game and wishing so badly she could come. 

Once home I remember holding her on my bed while I did homework. I remember kissing her on top of her head and promising her I'd never let anything bad happen to her. As I reflect on these beautiful memories and moments with our Pepper Anne, I'm reminded how incredible the gift of life is. The promise I made to her wasn't mine to make. Pepper is God's, and God needs Pepper to gain experience. If nothing ever happened to Pepper than she would return to heaven exactly as she came. She didn't choose to come to earth just to go back unchanged. She chose to come so she could climb mountains, even move mountains! With Jesus Christ her personal Savior who promised her He would show her how and would never leave her side. Pepper was in a fire. Her Daddy saved her as she was trying to save her brother. I do believe that God was aware of their crisis and that He was with them in that fiery inferno. He instructed Kyle what to do. He has given the strength their bodies have needed. He is with Pepper through this.

So, am I happy this happened? No. But I am forever grateful Pepper chose to come to Earth to face the toughest challenges that would create one of the most magnificent young ladies who have ever walked this earth. Pepper turns 12 today as she lays in bandages in the ICU in an unfamiliar city. And yet she is going above and beyond. She is doing more work to excel her recovery. She is caring more for others than herself. She is happy to see her loved ones. This fire she has walked through is having a greater positive impact of her spiritual growth and the spiritual growth of thousands of others than any other experience could have offered. The Copeland Family Fire (copelandfire.blogspot.com has 512,921 views. Pepper's courage, Pepper's faith, Pepper's influence is reaching far past her inner circle. She was born to shine like the sun!








Comments

  1. This is so beautifully written, spoken from the heart. Happy Birthday Pepper, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Pepper! I just found out about this accident & have watched & read everything about it that I can find. My heart just ached so much then I discovered this is a God fearing family & I knew they were in BETTER than GREAT hands...they're in The Great Physician's hands. Gods hands. Praying for you ALL. 🙏💕🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. If either of these babies need a live skin graft, I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment