Whitney's Recollection

Macey Jones:

The Copeland family is so special. Here is the latest update 💕 Kyle woke up and shared what he remembers.


Whitney:

Yesterday, Jan 2


I had my first chance to talk to Kyle since the events of the tragic accident last Monday.  There was a steady hour long conversation that was so good and rich. I’d like to share some of our experiences thus far. 

I’m in awe at the amount of trust Kyle has in my abilities. We spoke a bit about roles. Kyle kept saying how he knows his role was to get the kids out, that he showed up as a dad, and dads protect. Then he went into my role as a mother, saying it is then my job to nurture and heal. 

I will forever be grateful that Kyle made it to the bus first. I’m still questioning how that happened, as I went running first and had a good 10 yard head start. That will remain a mystery. I honestly don’t think I would have made it back out of that bus, which means there would have been three of us tragically lost in the fire. I can feel that in my bones. I know it. 

We also talked about spiritual experiences. Kyle said, that he ran through the flames to run to the back of the bus and he saw Pepper and Krew both standing in the back of the bus in between the bunk beds.  The moment he made eye contact he saw in the kids eyes the overwhelming feeling as if they were saying “daddy is here, we are ok”. When he felt that he knew he couldn’t let them down and he knew he had to get them out, and die trying. 

Kyle scooped Krew into his arms. Then turned to Pepper, who was stunned. When he grabbed onto her she was very reluctant and started pushing against him. Kyle then put her in the tightest head lock he could and turned towards the flames. In that moment he says, “it was as if I was looking right into hell”. Then it was as if everything stopped and time froze. The flames stopped moving everything became still and quiet and I heard clear as day, “Go now” then I felt a push. Everything was black and I ran the 30ft it took to get off the bus carrying our boy and dragging our baby girl. 

There have been different perspectives on the events of that night, this is how I remember it: after Kyle entered the bus he was on for about 1 minute. Kyle made it back to the stairs and as he fell to the ground face down he handed me Krew. I turned and set him on the ground and turned to see Pepper stunned on the top step in flames. I grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the bus and threw my body onto her patting her down and extinguishing the flames all over her body and hair. I then pulled Kyle up picked up Krew and pulled Pepper along with me, I knew we had to get away from the bus. There was propane and diesel. I knew it wasn’t safe. Within 1 minute (60 short seconds) of Kyle exiting the bus the first explosion happened. If Kyle would have hesitated it wouldn’t have worked. I just know the outcome would have been far worse. 

We also talked about our earthly bodies. How we believe that these bodies are temporary and any lasting scars, deformities or ailments will be part of the experience. I told Kyle I was particularly grateful that he will have sustained some of the same injuries as the kids. They will have a parent that can relate and empathize with them. I’m grateful again that our kids don’t have to walk the path of recovery alone. He is the dad that got them out and the dad that will get them through this tragedy, alongside them. I have full confidence in his role to protect and lead. 

Life is good. Hearing Kyle’s voice gave me such strength. I know we will get through this. Kyle is my soulmate, we were meant to do hard things. God is good. I continue to blindly trust in his plan.

Comments

  1. I am in awe of your strength, and the love of your family for one another. I have found myself praying during different times of the day for the healing of all injuries and for the strength you will all draw on in the coming months . Please know how many who you do not know, are holding you in their hearts and praying for you. I appreciate your update as you have been on my mind all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “ They will have a parent that can relate and empathize with them. I’m grateful again that our kids don’t have to walk the path of recovery alone” these two sentences made me cry, this is the strongest phrase I’ve ever read. Deeply sorry for this tragedy and will keep your family in my warmest thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment